Welcome To Nursery September 2021
Welcome to the Nursery class page.
Welcome back, we hope you have had a fantastic holiday. For some children, it is their last half term in nursery. It has been a great year! This half term, we will be spending some time in reception and with the teacher your children will be working with next year.
This half term, our topic will be ‘At the Zoo’. We are looking forward to our class trip to Blackpool Zoo where we will be able to investigate the different animals we are going to be learning about.
In Literacy – We will be reading the book – ‘Dear Zoo’. We will look at how stories are structured, the characters in books and suggest how stories might be changed or end. We will continue to learn new sounds and play sound games, as well as begin to learn how to blend words ready for reading. Some children may get a reading book to help them on their journey into reception.
In Numeracy – We will be looking for patterns in shapes and thinking about where we find them in the environment. We will be making homes for the zoo animals using different shaped boxes. The children will be investigating sizes of animals and their relative weight. We will also be looking at positional language.
In Understanding the World – We will be learning about the different habitats that animals live in. We will think about how animals change and how they look different from each other. The children will be investigating our iPads and learning how to set up a simple program and use it correctly.
Things you can do at home:
- Look for signs of change in the environment.
- Practise counting and recognising numbers (1-5, 1-10 and 1-20).
- Recognising different sizes of objects.
- Order objects according to their weight.
- Practise writing your child’s name using the correct formation.
- Looking for and recognising shapes within the environment.
- Completing your child’s homework with comments so that we are able to assess how well the children have completed the task.
- Most important of all… talk to your child about their day and your day. Have a meal together, play outside or enjoy a board game together. Enjoy each other’s company and talk all the time.
Please remember to send your child in suitable clothing for the outdoors as we will be going out in all weathers.
We are looking forward to an exciting half term ahead. Thank you for all of your support.
Nursery team – Mrs Brown, Mrs Larnder-Cox and Mrs Schofield